People tend to feel a little friendlier and more generous during the holidays. We love seeing friends and family reconnect and neighbors meet for the first time. While the holidays are generally full of joy and good cheer, they can also come with a few unique safety risks, from fires to theft. Your Colorado Springs security experts at Pikes Peak Security wanted to share our top holiday safety tips so you can enjoy your holidays with confidence.
Fire Safety During the Holidays
Unfortunately, house fires are more common during the holidays. According to the National Fire Protection Association, almost 800 fires were started by holiday decorations over the last 4 years, not including Christmas trees. In addition, cooking fires are the most common on Thanksgiving and Christmas. There are a few things you can do to help prevent a fire in your home during the holidays:
- Make sure your Christmas tree is well-watered. A dry tree is a major fire hazard.
- Check your holiday lights for frayed wires or loose bulbs before putting them up.
- Never leave candles unattended. If you’re using them to decorate your home, be sure to blow them out before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets. If you’re using extension cords, be sure they’re not damaged and that they’re not overloaded.
- Don’t leave your stove or oven unattended while cooking, and keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen for grease fires.
If you do have a fire in your home, be sure to call 911 right away and evacuate the premises. Once everyone is safe, you can start worrying about damage control. But the most important thing is to make sure everyone gets out safely.
Home Safety During the Holidays
Theft is another common concern during the holidays. One of the best ways to protect yourself from home break-ins is by getting to know your neighbors. That way, when one of you is out of town, the rest of the neighborhood can watch for suspicious activity. Here are a few other tips for keeping your home safe this winter:
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked before leaving the house or going to bed.
- If you have an alarm system, be sure to set it before leaving the house.
- Don’t advertise that you’re away from home on social media or in any other way. This includes putting a “gone fishing” sign in your yard or having your mail held at the post office.
- If you’re traveling for an extended period of time, have a friend or neighbor check on your house regularly.
- Make sure all valuables are out of sight and not easily accessible.
- Consider investing in a home security system to give you an extra layer of protection.
- Don’t answer the door for strangers, and tell your children to do the same.
Following these simple tips can help you enjoy your holiday season with peace of mind, knowing that your home is safe and secure.
Safety Tips for Shopping During the Holidays
The holidays are a great time to get out and enjoy some of the sales and specials at your favorite stores. But it’s also a prime time for pickpockets and thieves. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe while shopping this holiday season:
- Keep your purse or wallet close to your body and in a secure place. Pickpockets often target people who have their wallets in their back pockets or purses that are hanging off their shoulders.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you’re carrying a lot of bags, it can be easy to get distracted. Pay attention to who is around you and what they’re doing.
- Don’t leave your belongings unattended. This includes putting them down to answer a phone call or tie your shoes. If you can’t keep an eye on them, it’s best to leave them at home.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. If you do need to carry cash, divide it up and keep it in different places on your person.
- Be cautious of strangers approaching you. If someone asks you for directions or starts a conversation out of the blue, be wary. It’s best to keep your distance and not give out personal information.
These shopping tips will help keep you safe while you finish your Christmas shopping.
Happy Holidays from Your Colorado Springs Security Guards
Pikes Peak Security wishes you a safe and happy holiday season. Our local security experts are here to help if you need an extra set of eyes in your neighborhood this holiday season. Our event security services are also perfect for your company’s holiday party. From crowd control to security camera monitoring, we’ll keep you safe and secure so you can focus on your holiday festivities. Contact us today for a free quote.